What is Peyronie's disease? Share your Peyronie's disease experience Andropeyronie penis extender Visit my Peyronie's shop

What Can I Do About Painful Peyronie’s Erections?

Peyronie's Question

I just turned 58 years old and until now I've been quite sexually active. I developed a lump on the right shaft of my penis after having normal sex with my girlfriend. My penis didn’t curve or bend but every erection was very painful. The urologist said it was scar tissue and “just a speed-bump on my road of life.”

man with penis pain

The pain did seem to dissipate over the next few months and my sex life was almost back to normal. Until on my birthday while having the most amazing BJ of my life I felt another sharp pain down there. This time the lump was on my left shaft.

I was then referred to a specialist at Stanford who saw me for 10 minutes and diagnosed me with Peyronie’s Disease.  He prescribed a medication, Trental 400mg controlled release which doesn't seem to help at all. 

I don’t know what to do about this pain. It is so sharp and severe but only when I have an erection. I take 4 Ibuprofen but it still feels like a large hypodermic needle inserted through the side of my penis. For the first time in my life I want to avoid sex and I know I’m disappointing my lady.

Not only is it severely painful but I’m afraid it might happen again. What can I do about this sharp pain?

My Peyronie's Answer

I’m sorry to hear that you have Peyronie’s though maybe not clear when you got it. I’m not a medical doctor but this is how it sounds to me. Painful erection and scar tissue sounds like you developed Peyronie’s first time around.

The thing with painful Peyronie’s erection is that is does go away on its own once men reach the stable phase. As you pain was dissipating you may have been getting there but then had another episode of Peyronie’s, i.e. back to the acute phase. The intense pain you feel now does indicate this.

Again, the penis pain should dissipate on its own in the coming months. However, if you are really struggling then talk to your doctor and see if he can give you something to help with the painful Peyronie’s erections.

Your doctor gave you Trental (Pentoxifylline) as it may prevent scaring and improve erection quality through improved blood circulation. In addition, it may also help reducing the calcification of the plaque, but it does not help with the pain as such.

And you MUST talk to your girlfriend, i.e. if you want to keep her. She will understand if you explain why you are temporarily avoiding sex. However, she may not understand why you are avoiding sex if you don’t tell her. She may then think there is something wrong with her or your relationship. That is much more likely to affect your relationship badly than not having sex / having less sex temporarily.

Men with Peyronie’s disease are at somewhat higher risk of getting it again (as sounds like you may have). So you need to be aware of this and take reasonable care when having sex. But once the pain goes away and if your condition is good you can and should have sex. You just need to be aware of the risk.

You don’t mention curvature which is really good news. As long as it is “just” painful erections that are bothering you… at least you know it is temporary and will improve with time. I though recommend you monitor your condition carefully and if anything changes you may want to see your doctor again and consider some Peyronie’s treatment options.

I hope this is of some help and I wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Hello, I'm Birgir

This website is based on my experience of Peyronie's disease